Most of us are on overload from Thanksgiving feasting, and these stuffed mushrooms are a delicious and healthy way to get back into a healthy routine. It’s also a great way to use leftover gluten-free stuffing (I’ll include my incredibly delicious gluten-free and HEALTHY recipe soon)
Mushrooms are actually a great addition to the vegetarian’s diet. Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium (8%), riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more (source here). What’s not to love about that? I personally love mushrooms, but some people can’t stomach them on their own, so stuffing them adds a great additional flavor profile.
To make stuffed mushrooms, here are two options: Bright Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms and Traditional Stuffed Mushrooms.
Bright Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms:
Large shiitake mushrooms (4-6 inches)
Veggies of choice (I used grape tomatoes, red peppers, zucchini, white onions, and baby spinach)
Fresh sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (optional)
Jasmine, brown, or basmati rice (optional)
1/4 clove of crushed garlic
Seasonings: curry, garlic powder, and celic salt to taste
1. Clean out mushrooms and place empty mushrooms on a cookie sheet lightly oiled with coconut oil. Lightly salt and sprinkle with seasonings. Cook at 375 for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Roast tomatoes on separate pan in oven with mushrooms.
3. Lightly sautee all veggies (excluding baby spinach), keep crisp to preserve nutrients. Add seasonings to taste.
4. Removing mushrooms and tomatoes, layer veggies onto mushrooms and cook an addition 7 minutes. You can also add a layer or rice if you want a little extra substance.
5. Serve warm and enjoy!
Traditional Stuffed Mushrooms
Large capped mushrooms, white or portabella
My gluten-free stuffing (see recipe here)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degree.
2. Clean out mushrooms, and place on cookie sheet greased lightly with coconut oil and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Take out, add stuffing and cook an additional 7-10 minutes till stuffing is lightly toasted.
4. Serve warm as as lovely appetizer!