I really love sweets. Well, and salty foods too, actually. What the heck, full disclosure I love eating. Still, despite the fact that my body constantly thinks it’s in full starvation a la “Naked & Afraid” survival mode, I try to make sure what I consume is going to be fuel for my body. Smoothies are my main goto; I feel like green smoothies are my major food group, like smoothie: it’s what’s for breakfast. And lunch. And probably dinner.
I came across a smoothie recipe that defied reality and claimed to be both delicious and healthy. Despite feeling skeptical, I was particularly starved at that moment, what with not having any food for like a whole hour and a half, so I tried it. Surprisingly, it was a really tasty treat, and totally 4pm soothed my sweet tooth monster. It’s also a great post workout refuel treat. Here’s what you need:
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) almond milk or coconut milk (if you don’t mind dairy, regular milk works fine)
- approximately 1 cup of ice (crushed or cubed)
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder or chocolate protein powder
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- Stevia to taste
* Variation: add organic, GMO free peanut butter powder for a extra delicious treat. You can also add a banana. Or, throw some raspberries in for a choco-raspberry shake!
Put all together in your blender and blend away to the consistency you want. More ice will make it thicker and more like a Frosty. The positives: it’s very low cal, vegan, sugar free (depending on the protein powder you use) and a good alternative to icecream. The cons: let’s be real, if you are used to eating a lot of processed, sugary foods, it really won’t be a perfect alternative to chocolate ice cream or Frosty, and I’m not even going to pretend it will be. It’s a great alternative though, and it might do the trick in helping you ween yourself off of those foods or help keep you away from them. I personally thought it was kinda magical. Give it a try and let me know what you think and if you have any ingredients you think make it taste even better!