Working peeps, I don’t know about you but I need a six month holiday, twice a year. I don’t think that’s an unresonable request, quite frankly. In the meantime: FOOD. Or, more specifically, the breakfast of champions: Texan champs that is! My ICU work schedule has me even more excited about our upcoming London vacation. We’ll be living in London proper for a month while I do yoga training with Kino MacGregor and her husband Tim Fieldman. Since life is happy but hectic right now, my meal plans are easy. And nothing is as effortless than breakfast tacos (well, ok, cereal is prob a tad easier), so that’s what’s on the menu this weekend.
It turns out, eggs + tacos are such a happy match. I first fell in love with breakfast tacos when I moved to Dallas, Texas which has perfected that art form of tacos in all their splendor. After long, crazy night shifts in the ICU, my nursing friends and I would go out for breakfast tacos and mimosas. It was the perfect way to decompress after a 12 hour shift. To this day, Samuel and I love tacos all up and down a Sunday, so this was a no brainer brunch option.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- Hand made tortillas
- Paleo approved tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1/8 cup coconut milk (add to eggs to make light and creamy)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp chili seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1/2 head butterhead lettuce (any lettuce is fine)
- 4-6 slices of sharp cheddar cheese (one per taco)
→ TIP: you can make tortillas in advanced. I make a mix, store it the night before in a container; it makes whipping together tacos even faster.
- Beat eggs + coconut milk together, with 1 tsp chili seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, and salt.
- Saute veggies with spices, set aside. Scramble eggs and begin cooking tortillas.
- Cook tortillas; layer cheese on tortilla then fold into taco shape.
- Add lettuce, eggs, veggies, and lastly the sun dried tomatoes to taco.
Serve hot and remind people that nothing—and I mean nothing—beats breakfast tacos. Although, cinnamon toast crunch cereal might just be a close (tragically unhealthy) second. Happy Sunday! Much love and lots of spices from my kitchen to yours!